What Are Eco-Friendly Phone Cases And Why Should You Buy One?
It doesn’t take a mathematician to work out that the billions of phones around the planet have an impact on the environment. And that goes for phone cases as well as your mobile.
Typically, phone cases are made of materials like plastic or leather because they’re hardwearing and impact-absorbing. But if you want to reduce the amount of plastic in your life, you can choose an eco-phone case. Wondering what exactly that is? Read on for the lowdown.
The problem with plastic
Chances are, you’re already thinking of a sustainable phone case if you’re here. But if you’re not, here’s why these eco cases exist in the first place.
It all comes back to the climate crisis. It’s estimated that 8 million tonnes of plastic waste escapes to the oceans each year. It can take hundreds of years for some plastics to biodegrade, and then there’s the added issue of microplastics. Microscopic plastic particles have been found in our ecosystem and water supply.
While the scale of the problem seems insurmountable, conscious choices made by us, as consumers, can reduce the amount of plastic waste in the world.
What is an eco-friendly phone case?
Eco-friendly phone cases are a direct response to the plastic waste issue. Made from materials like bamboo or cork, and using biodegradable glues and lining, they are designed to protect your phone with minimal impact on the environment.
Typically, eco phone cases compost within a short time when discarded. Ours, for instance, made from bamboo, biodegrades within 60-90 days in landfill or your compost bin. Although different eco materials offer varying features, there are some general points to check out while shopping.
Here are the kinds of things you need to look out for:
- Check out what they’re made from, ensure they only use non-toxic materials throughout their design.
- Understand how long it will take to fully decompose after you’re finished with it.
- See how it’s manufactured. For example, made-to-order accessories have a much lower impact on resources during the end-to-end production process.
The bamboo phone case
There will be different benefits depending on the type of material used in your sustainable phone case.
Our eco phone cases are made with bamboo, not just for their eco-friendly properties, but because they are aesthetic. And because they look good, they nestle right into our portfolio of limited-edition designs.
So, what can you expect from a bamboo phone case? Here’s why they are our favourite eco-material:
- They are beautifully unique. That means every phone case has its little snowflake differences. Small variations in texture and grain are what make things exciting from our geeky design perspective.
- They are vegan and plant-based, which is important to us and our animal-loving customers.
- Bamboo is grippy! And that’s a major plus point for us for phone case design. Having something textural that fits in the hand and doesn’t slip is a functional, beautiful feature that makes sense.
- It’s a hardwearing material. Because there’s no point in having a phone case that looks good but doesn’t protect your phone in the case of slips or drops.
- Best of all, they are completely compostable within 60-90 days. Enough said!
Top three take-away benefits of an eco phone case
We know that plastic is a reliable, long-lasting material. This is a boon for highly used items that demand durability. And what’s more hard-used than our phones?
But if you want to explore eco-friendly options, the technology and the products are there. Bamboo phone cases are just one example of a sustainable product that doesn’t contribute to plastic waste and gives us all the benefits we need from a phone case.
Ultimately, bamboo phone cases offer us:
- An eco-friendly, biodegradable option.
- Unique products with a design-worthy look and feel.
- Durability and strength.
You could ask, what more does a phone case need? In our minds, that nails it.